[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 19:41:08 UTC 2012

On Sunday 25 Nov 2012 19:34:49 Simon Hobson wrote:
> Doug Lytle wrote:
>
> >If you have a All-In-one type of remote, depending on what function
> >you've selected (DVR/TV/VCR/Satellite), will cause some button
> >functions to work, while others to not produce any output.
>
> This is a basic remote that came with the PC - it has a green
> "Windows logo" button on it and is I think an MCE remote ?
>

> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> >Well, as far as I can tell, myth is being told about them but it
> >doesn't understand them (as evidenced by them working in other
> >applications). You need to set up LIRC and remap those buttons from
> >e.g. KEY_PLAY (or whatever) to KEY_P, or whatever myth uses.
>
> I don't have anything else I run, so I don't know if anything else
> will "see" the codes or not.
> But it doesn't make sense to me. The dialog asks for a key to be
> pressed - what is pressed, and what "code" is given to Myth shouldn't
> really matter, it just needs to record whatever was delivered. So if
> I had a Coffee key and wanted to map that to pause, then that ought
> to work. If Myth is artificially filtering the codes it accepts, then
> that does sound like an odd way of handling things.
>
> I guess this is where it needs someone who understands how stuff gets
> from me pressing a button to "something happening".

Have a look at this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104541

Its' from the XBMC forum but it describes how to get a remote working with the in-kernel mappings instead of LIRC. (Section 2.2). It might just be a case that those buttons are not generating anything and you need to install an appropriate configuration for ir-keytable. If yours is an MCE remote then this will be the work of a few minutes.

mark