[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Nov 26 09:19:08 UTC 2012

Sorry this isn't properly linked into the thread: I got it from
the archive, after previously cleaning out my mail box not realising
I'd eventually be interested in the thread.

Anyway, I too am looking at this. I had been using minimyth, but
possibly that has died. :-(  I find that I really don't have
sufficiently deep knowledge of the linux boot sequence. I'm hoping
someone can point me at a simple approach that doesn't require my
learning too much (I have lots of other projects on, and I don't
want this one to grow out of hand).

My hopes are (anyone of which can be dropped if it simplifies things):

1) Not to have to add a disk to my Zotac ION.

2) To use opensuse because it's the linux I best know.

3) To do the initial install actually on the diskless machine,
so that I get as much automatic config as possible.

4) To perform updates to the front end from the server. I'm
thinking chroot, but that might be impossible because my server
is running x64, where as I'm guessing the ION has to be 32bit.

4) To be able to switch off the diskless machine without
shutting down.

I have dhcp/pxe/tftp already set up on my opensuse server/backend
already, so it should be just a case of altering that.

I found this fairly simple description of how to install opensuse
to a diskless machine:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:PXE_boot_installation
but it makes no mention of a writable NFS share, so I don't understand
to where it installs!

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
	Paul.