[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:54:42 UTC 2012

On Monday 26 Nov 2012 12:39:23 jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 03:57:22PM +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > Yes, and anyone who uses the built-in-to-the-kernel key mappings for the
> > > remote buttons then ends up changing the key bindings in /every/ single
> > > application on their system so that the remote button that sends an A
> > > (or KEY_A) does the appropriate thing in that application*** (and has to
> > > learn their custom keymaps/can't discuss default bindings/...).  And, to
> > > make it worse, for users with multiple frontends, using kernel key
> > > mappings for the remote means customizing every single mythfrontend on
> > > every single system (not to mention also customizing xine, mplayer, vlc,
> > > xmms, xmms2, audacious, ...
> > >

> > But that's exactly the point. The remote buttons don't send standard keyboard keys. The in-kernel mappings send KEY_PLAY, KEY_PAUSE, KEY_STOP, etc and not KEY_P, KEY_S, KEY_A etc. So there *is* a standard set of keys for a remote, just as there is for a keyboard. The point is that mythtv doesn't appear to recognise these 'multimedia' keys. If it did, most remotes would 'just work' without LIRC and without any special configuration. Plenty of applications now support these keys in addition to the old 'standard' keyboard shortcuts.
>
>     Having conventions for what goes into /etc/lirc is sufficient. You don't
> have to implement a system that is LESS configurable and LESS in the control
> of the end user just to have something that is more manageable to a certain
> class of user.

Well that's really my issue. I DO want less configuration. Less configuration is good. Or rather, I like to be able to *customize*, but I don't want to *have* to configure *just* to get stuff working. That "certain class of user" is the majority of people (though I'll grant you probably not the majority of Myth users), it's one reason why Apple products are so popular and Linux is ignored even by many people who could manage it.

Here's what I mean. Setting up mythtv-frontend is still, after 4 years, something I do with fear. It takes hours. Setting up XBMC was as simple as 'sudo apt-get install XBMC'. I was watching videos *and* using my remote within 5 minutes. This is because it has sensible defaults for everything and responds sensibly to appropriate button codes.

I know it's two different poins of view, and both are equally valid. It's obvious which side of the fence I'm on and which side the Myth devs are on :) I shall take my pleas for ease of use elsewhere :)

(NB I worked as a UI usability tester for 10 years. I've spent half my working life listening to a "certain class of user" explaining to me why the UI doesn't make sense. I do think I know what I'm talking about).

Mark