[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:20:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well that's really my issue. I DO want less configuration. Less configuration is good. Or rather, I like to be able to *customize*, but I don't want to *have* to configure *just* to get stuff working. That "certain class of user" is the majority of people (though I'll grant you probably not the majority of Myth users), it's one reason why Apple products are so popular and Linux is ignored even by many people who could manage it.
>
> Here's what I mean. Setting up mythtv-frontend is still, after 4 years, something I do with fear. It takes hours. Setting up XBMC was as simple as 'sudo apt-get install XBMC'. I was watching videos *and* using my remote within 5 minutes. This is because it has sensible defaults for everything and responds sensibly to appropriate button codes.

+1.  I love MythTV and I've been a happy user for many years, but the
fact that one needs to know a lot of details of LIRC, etc. just to get
a remote working keeps me scared as well.  I've been having remote/LCD
TV interference issues lately (not sure when it started, but it's
completely screwed with my WAF) and I'm considering RF/Bluetooth
remotes or just replacing my IR receiver (Streamzap) with something
else.  I've avoided doing this because of the time it usually takes to
get a new remote working with MythTV.

/Brian/