[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 27 03:59:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have the audio out connector on the BT-848 card bracket patched to the
> line-in connector on the sound card bracket.  I also have the aux output on
> the internal connector of the BT848 connected to the aux input on the
> internal connector on the sound card (... belt and suspenders).  I hear
> sound on live tv and I hear sound playing back recordings made from an
> HD-PVR.  So, I'm pretty sure the issue is only grabbing the audio when
> recording for the BT848 card.

That's a little unclear.

Do you mean:

I hear sound on live tv (when using the BT848) and I hear sound
playing back recordings made from an HD-PVR..

or:

I hear sound on live tv/recordings made from an HD-PVR but never any
sound from the BT848...

If you can't hear any sound at all from the BT848, I'd start by going
into alsamixer on the command line and making sure that your capture
gain is not at/near 0 and that the input source is set to Line and not
Mic or something like that.

It's been a long time since I've tried to use one of those types of
cards.  I can't say it's something I'd want to ever do again.  If you
want to add another analog SD capture device, I'd recommend looking
for something like a PVR-150/250/500 on ebay.

Eric