[mythtv-users] Shutdown Issue - Need Help

Jeff Hatfield hatfield.jeff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:13:50 UTC 2012

I’ve been using MythTv for several years and finally ran into a problem I
can’t figure out via the list archives/wiki page/google/etc. so I’m making
my first post to this list hoping someone can spot something in my setup
that may be causing the problem.

*My Problem*

I’m trying to get the MythTv shutdown to work consistently.

When it works - If I reboot my backend and leave it sit there waiting for a
login, it will look at the schedule and if nothing is scheduled to record
in the next 20 minutes it will shutdown and wakeup to record at the
scheduled time just like it’s supposed to.

When It doesn’t work - The problem comes in once the MythTv backend has
been used.  Once it has recorded something, or I’ve used the frontend to
watch a show, it will never shutdown again until I reboot.  It’s as if once
the backend has been used to do something there is something loaded that
keeps it from being idle.

I’ve looked in the Backend log but nothing jumps out at me (probably
because I don’t know what I’m looking for :-)

*My Configuration*

- The machine is a combination FE/BE/desktop running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

- MythTv is version 25+fixes using the MythBuntu repository.

*Myth BE config*

- EIT transport timout (mins): 2

- Backend idle before EIT crawl (secs): 1280

- Startup command: (blank – it seems to start up just fine)

- Block Shutdown before client connected: (unchecked)

- Idle shutdown timeout (secs): 1200

- Maximum wait for recording (mins): 20

- Startup before recording (secs): 600

- Wakeup time format: time_t

- Command to set wakeup time: sudo /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh 4time

- Server halt command: sudo shutdown –P now

- Pre-shutdown-check command: (blank – once I get the shutdown working
reliably I’ll put something in here)

Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff