[mythtv-users] Shutdown Issue - Need Help

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Tue Nov 27 20:45:12 UTC 2012

Jeff Hatfield wrote:
> I’ve been using MythTv for several years and finally ran into a problem
> I can’t figure out via the list archives/wiki page/google/etc. so I’m
> making my first post to this list hoping someone can spot something in
> my setup that may be causing the problem.
>
> *My Problem*
>
> I’m trying to get the MythTv shutdown to work consistently.
>
> When it works - If I reboot my backend and leave it sit there waiting
> for a login, it will look at the schedule and if nothing is scheduled to
> record in the next 20 minutes it will shutdown and wakeup to record at
> the scheduled time just like it’s supposed to.
>
> When It doesn’t work - The problem comes in once the MythTv backend has
> been used.  Once it has recorded something, or I’ve used the frontend to
> watch a show, it will never shutdown again until I reboot.  It’s as if
> once the backend has been used to do something there is something loaded
> that keeps it from being idle.
>
> I’ve looked in the Backend log but nothing jumps out at me (probably
> because I don’t know what I’m looking for :-)
>
> *My Configuration*
>
> - The machine is a combination FE/BE/desktop running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.
>
> - MythTv is version 25+fixes using the MythBuntu repository.
>
> *Myth BE config*
>
> - EIT transport timout (mins): 2
>
> - Backend idle before EIT crawl (secs): 1280
>
> - Startup command: (blank – it seems to start up just fine)
>
> - Block Shutdown before client connected: (unchecked)
>
> - Idle shutdown timeout (secs): 1200
>
> - Maximum wait for recording (mins): 20
>
> - Startup before recording (secs): 600
>
> - Wakeup time format: time_t
>
> - Command to set wakeup time: sudo /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh 4time
>
> - Server halt command: sudo shutdown –P now

Is the logged in user in sudoers?

you should have a line like

%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

in /etc/sudoers. To edit that file, run "sudo visudo"

> - Pre-shutdown-check command: (blank – once I get the shutdown working
> reliably I’ll put something in here)

I thought there needs to be something in there. If that command returns
0, the PC will shutdown, otherwise not. Try "mythshutdown -s" which is
the default, I think.

HTH
Thomas