[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 28 19:00:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:22:10AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> > and I meant it and I really do enjoy the hardware discussion, but I'd prefer
> > to not buy more hardware for what I suspect is a software problem.
>
> True, but when you factor in the time required, buying new hardware
> can be the cheaper option.  An 8400GS when on sale can be had for
> $10-15.

    Besides, a BT848 is a dinosaur. I had one of those in 98. The card
is bound to be old enough that it's living on borrowed time. Plus it
adds a level of complexity to the situation that's really not needed
anymore.

    The more complex you make your system, the more likely it will
break. That's one reason I don't bother with transcode jobs anymore.
Plus the HD-PVR makes it a moot point. It's output is already nicely
compressed.

[deletia]

     Past a certain point some tech just isn't worth holding onto anymore.