[mythtv-users] Shutdown Issue - Need Help

Jksj jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:20:58 UTC 2012

On 27/11/12 20:45, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> Jeff Hatfield wrote:
>> I’ve been using MythTv for several years and finally ran into a problem
>> I can’t figure out via the list archives/wiki page/google/etc. so I’m
>> making my first post to this list hoping someone can spot something in
>> my setup that may be causing the problem.
>>
>> *My Problem*
>>
>> I’m trying to get the MythTv shutdown to work consistently.
>>
>> When it works - If I reboot my backend and leave it sit there waiting
>> for a login, it will look at the schedule and if nothing is scheduled to
>> record in the next 20 minutes it will shutdown and wakeup to record at
>> the scheduled time just like it’s supposed to.
>>
>> When It doesn’t work - The problem comes in once the MythTv backend has
>> been used.  Once it has recorded something, or I’ve used the frontend to
>> watch a show, it will never shutdown again until I reboot.  It’s as if
>> once the backend has been used to do something there is something loaded
>> that keeps it from being idle.
>>
>> I’ve looked in the Backend log but nothing jumps out at me (probably
>> because I don’t know what I’m looking for :-)
>>
>> *My Configuration*
>>
>> - The machine is a combination FE/BE/desktop running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.
>>
>> - MythTv is version 25+fixes using the MythBuntu repository.
>>
>> *Myth BE config*
>>
>> - EIT transport timout (mins): 2
>>
>> - Backend idle before EIT crawl (secs): 1280
>>
>> - Startup command: (blank – it seems to start up just fine)
>>
>> - Block Shutdown before client connected: (unchecked)
>>
>> - Idle shutdown timeout (secs): 1200
>>
>> - Maximum wait for recording (mins): 20
>>
>> - Startup before recording (secs): 600
>>
>> - Wakeup time format: time_t
>>
>> - Command to set wakeup time: sudo /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh 4time
>>
>> - Server halt command: sudo shutdown –P now
> Is the logged in user in sudoers?
>
> you should have a line like
>
> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown
>
> in /etc/sudoers. To edit that file, run "sudo visudo"
>
>> - Pre-shutdown-check command: (blank – once I get the shutdown working
>> reliably I’ll put something in here)
> I thought there needs to be something in there. If that command returns
> 0, the PC will shutdown, otherwise not. Try "mythshutdown -s" which is
> the default, I think.
>

> HTH
> Thomas
In my experience Mythtv 0.24 > 0.26 this is normal operation.
If the frontend is not used from boot the backend will start and stop
the machine as required.
Once the frontend has connected the machine will obviously not shut down
until the frontend is closed.
When the frontend is closed the machine will shut down if no recording
is expected within the time limit.
If the backend is recording when the frontend is closed the machine will
shut down when the recording has finished.
However if the backend is not recording but has a recording pending
within the time limit, shutdown will not happen.
So if I have a recording pending last thing at night after finishing
viewing I reboot and things work fine:-) .