[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Nov 28 19:29:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:22:10AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
>> > and I meant it and I really do enjoy the hardware discussion, but I'd prefer
>> > to not buy more hardware for what I suspect is a software problem.
>>
>> True, but when you factor in the time required, buying new hardware
>> can be the cheaper option.  An 8400GS when on sale can be had for
>> $10-15.
>
>     Besides, a BT848 is a dinosaur. I had one of those in 98. The card
> is bound to be old enough that it's living on borrowed time.

Possibly, although some tech seems to just work for quite a lot longer
than you might expect.

There's also the electricity costs to consider.  Using a P4 for fully
software based video compression is surely going to take more juice
than a hardware encoder.  It won't take too long to justify the cost
of replacing the video card on economic grounds alone.

Eric