[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 23:08:01 UTC 2012

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>I still don't get why people think doing this (and repeating it with
>>>each upgrade--and on each system) is easier than creating (or, likely,
>>>downloading) a single LIRC configuration file for the remote
>>>(lircd.conf) and a LIRC configuration for MythTV (~/.lircrc) and any
>>>other application you want to use with the remote, which can then be
>>>backed up with your other configuration files and just dropped in place
>>>whenever you upgrade your distro or set up a new system or...

Since there is now in-kernel support, using an extra package/layer is
as sensible as having an extra package/software layer to make (say) a
keyboard work. Clearly LIRC exists because in-kernel support didn't
exist until relatively recently, and it'll be around for some time.
As it is, the only reason I have to do any more than go into Myths
key mapping is because of a design feature in X - otherwise the
remote would "just work", and I suspect that many of the standard
keys (such as Play) would already be mapped on new installs.

>No, for the case I questioned--Simon's case--it's sending keys that
>are eaten by X and, therefore, unusable in any X-based application.
>So, Simon *reconfigured* his kernel's keymap for the remote.  This
>is *not* "without doing any configuration at all."

Indeed, it's not Myth's fault that it doesn't get to see some of the
button press events. Mostly I've just been remapping buttons to Myth
standard mappings (eg changing KEY_PAUSE to KEY_P).

>>As it is I have to use a file that maps 'KEY_VOLUMEDOWN' to '[',
>>KEY_UP' to 'Up', 'KEY_PLAY' to 'P'. This is ridiculous. All because
>>mythtv refuses to recognise 'KEY_PLAY' as meaning 'I have pressed
>>the PLAY button' or 'KEY_VOLUMEDOWN' as meaning 'Please reduce the
>>volume'.

As already mentioned, it's not Myth that's refusing to recognise it -
it doesn't get to see those at all with the in-kernal drivers.

>Again, you're not talking about the same thing I was.  Remapping
>kernel keymaps is not, "It Just Works, so let's have a beer."  Since
>the kernel must--by necessity--use key codes > 255 for new
>"remote-only" "keys" (neigh, buttons) because key codes <= 255 are
>already used, those keys aren't usable in X or X applications, so if
>you have a remote with those buttons you /must/ remap those key
>codes to repeat already-used codes.

Indeed. Sooner or later I'm sure someone will sort it - I hope.

--
Simon Hobson