[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:29:31 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 Nov 2012 23:08:01 Simon Hobson wrote:

> Since there is now in-kernel support, using an extra package/layer is
> as sensible as having an extra package/software layer to make (say) a
> keyboard work. Clearly LIRC exists because in-kernel support didn't
> exist until relatively recently, and it'll be around for some time.
> As it is, the only reason I have to do any more than go into Myths
> key mapping is because of a design feature in X - otherwise the
> remote would "just work", and I suspect that many of the standard
> keys (such as Play) would already be mapped on new installs.
>
> >No, for the case I questioned--Simon's case--it's sending keys that
> >are eaten by X and, therefore, unusable in any X-based application.
> >So, Simon *reconfigured* his kernel's keymap for the remote.  This
> >is *not* "without doing any configuration at all."
>
> Indeed, it's not Myth's fault that it doesn't get to see some of the
> button press events. Mostly I've just been remapping buttons to Myth
> standard mappings (eg changing KEY_PAUSE to KEY_P).

Myth does get to see KEY_PAUSE and KEY_PLAY etc, it's only the real esoteric ones that don't get through. So my idea all along has only been that Myth should have sensible defaults for these buttons. If that was the case you wouldn't have had to do any remapping at all and your remote would likely work with any program you cared to point it at.

> >>As it is I have to use a file that maps 'KEY_VOLUMEDOWN' to '[',
> >>KEY_UP' to 'Up', 'KEY_PLAY' to 'P'. This is ridiculous. All because
> >>mythtv refuses to recognise 'KEY_PLAY' as meaning 'I have pressed
> >>the PLAY button' or 'KEY_VOLUMEDOWN' as meaning 'Please reduce the
> >>volume'.
>
> As already mentioned, it's not Myth that's refusing to recognise it -
> it doesn't get to see those at all with the in-kernal drivers.

See above

Mark