[mythtv-users] Running mythbackend on a low-power device

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:22:30 UTC 2012

I use a SheevaPlug for my Myth BE. I can record two HD shows from my
HDHomeRun, not sure about 3 (I do have multirec enabled, so maybe I
have... never checked).

The thing about the Pi is the USB bottleneck for disk I/O. Worse, the
Pi's network adapter is also routed through USB internally. CPU
shouldn't be a problem, and RAM shouldn't be a problem (especially
with the new 512MB Pi), but disk AND network I/O being shoveled
through one USB host controller would probably choke.

The Pi aside, some other ARM device (NAS or Sheeva) with eSATA/SATA*
ought to have the I/O grunt you need for a BE. The Pi could still be a
separate FE, albeit running XBMC since Myth doesn't support the Pi's
OpenMAX video acceleration yet.

* Not all Sheeva and cousins have SATA, check the specs to be sure.