[mythtv-users] Running mythbackend on a low-power device

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Nov 30 00:33:47 UTC 2012

Is the USB on a R pi a bottleneck?  If its a 480 usb 2 interface, suggests
to me the 100 nic is more likely to be the constricter - or seems likely to
be the deeper architecture? Im still waiting for mine to test this....
Anyone tested this?

I've been considering using a Rpi master backend, that connects with a
hdhomerun (or two?) and some sort of inevitably noisy multi hdd multi TB
machine out of ear shot in a utility space, preferably with demand power
control on that machine.

A significant concern expressed previously is that the scheduler is a
significant run job that may be too big for the pis cpu to handle, which I
think is about the equivalent of a pentium 400 (?).  It seems if a
sheevaplug can run the scheduler then a pi should be able to also(?).

A more concerning question for me is what will the simultaneous recording /
playback capacity be, having a system working that has effectively had no
discernable limits (where 8 hd programs can be simultaneously recorded with
seamless recording playback co-existing (using 2 x 500 pci cards) = +++
kudos to the devs!) seems a level of performance that a rpi will be
challenged to approach where the single LAN pipe will be at least part of
the constraints explanation...