[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 30 17:08:47 UTC 2012

On 11/28/2012 06:08 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Since there is now in-kernel support, using an extra package/layer is
> as sensible as having an extra package/software layer to make (say) a
> keyboard work.

Yeah, that would be crazy...

http://kbd-project.org/ ( ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kbd/ )
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig (
ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/individual/data/xkeyboard-config/ )

I suppose really, all we need is a kernel and drivers.  I have no clue
why so many developers create applications...

In truth, the /only/ differences are a) keyboards are standardized and
b) distros have excellent tools for configuring the keyboard properly
for users (thanks, primarily, to a--the standardization I already
mentioned).  Just because you don't know the details of GNU/Linux and X
architecture doesn't mean you should assume keyboards are simple.  This
is what I've been saying over and over--the GNU/Linux and X keyboard
architecture is almost identical to the LIRC architecture in terms of
its abstraction (and no one seems to question that keyboards work well
and the architecture is good).  Remotes are just /very/ much less
standardized than keyboards and, therefore, are in even greater need of
abstraction than keyboards.

Mike