[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:32:02 UTC 2012

On Friday 30 Nov 2012 12:31:12 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 02:16 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >> What key was mapped when you remapped your volume keys above?  Was it
> >> VolumeDown, etc.?
> > It said 'Volume Down'.
>
> Sounds like it should include the space, then, and you probably created
> your key bindings long ago (>5yrs ago), so you didn't get that default
> mapping.

No, this was a fresh installation of 0.26. There was a default binding for 'Volume Down', but it doesn't work, and rebinding it didn't help even though the same 'Volume Down' came up when I bound it.

> Thank you, though, for finally actually trying to map the keyboard keys
> sent by the kernel driver.  It's much easier to discuss the future
> direction for key binding and remote control configuration if we both
> agree that remote buttons can be configured with or without LIRC (at
> least for buttons that send key codes that aren't eaten by X)--that LIRC
> is irrelevant to the matter--and it just comes down to whether to add
> new default key bindings that will affect all current and future users
> of MythTV.

That's all I've really been trying to argue. I see now that some more default binding have been added (but I didn't notice them because they don't seem to work). It would only take a few more to make myth virtually useable by default with any sensible kernel-operated remote. (Apple bizarreness notwithstanding).

BTW my comment about 'not interested in making it useable'.... I do understand what you're trying to do. My philosophy for how an app should interact with its users is based on years of development work with 'ordinary people' in production environments where you have to make design decisions  in order that new users can be brought up to speed quickly and don't make mistakes. I think I'm getting the impression that this is not mythtv's philosophy. For me, there are just too many options, too much stuff to configure. I think this is a result of trying to be all things to all people, but if that's the aim then good luck to you.

Mark