[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Nov 30 18:47:45 UTC 2012

On 30/11/12 18:32, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> BTW my comment about 'not interested in making it useable'.... I do
> understand what you're trying to do. My philosophy for how an app should
> interact with its users is based on years of development work with 'ordinary
> people' in production environments where you have to make design decisions
> in order that new users can be brought up to speed quickly and don't make
> mistakes. I think I'm getting the impression that this is not mythtv's
> philosophy. For me, there are just too many options, too much stuff to
> configure. I think this is a result of trying to be all things to all people,
> but if that's the aim then good luck to you.

Yeah. When the user can choose TV, audio amp, motherboard, processor, video
card, tuner, remote, operating system and broadcast provider from literally
anywhere in the world, then mythtv has no option but to be "all things to all
people".

That's the problem in a nutshell. In a previous existence I did the usability
thing as well but in almost all cases there is a narrow range of hardware
coupled with a limited range of user ability. That's never going to happen with
mythtv.

For what myth does, I think that it is amazing. I, too, suffer from problems
with my Harmony programmable remote but I just live with the oddities that I
can't figure out. One day I'll redo it all from scratch. We're getting rid of
LIRC? Brilliant!

--

Mike Perkins