[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-1950 USB not working with MythTV

Naoyuki Tai ntai at smartfruit.com
Fri Nov 30 23:40:51 UTC 2012

Because I did not want confuse nice people who try to
help me, I did not mention this.

The system was working fine as MythBuntu 10 (MB10), with
Plextor ConvertX (USB MPEG4 box) as SD capture device.

I did the upgrade from MB10 to MB12.
Since the kernel went up from 2.6.3x to 3.2.x, I knew I cannot
use ConvertX with 2.6 kernel. So, I bought the HVR 1950.
the kernel module source for ConvertX is not made for 3.2
kernel. (I hacked it a little to build the kmod, but did not work.)

Right now, both devices work fine if I run the 2.6.3x kernel.
HVR 1950 works with 3.2.x kernel.
For example, if I do "mplayer /dev/video0", HVR 1950 works.
For convertX with 2.6 kernel, I can capture MPEG4 with a
utility application.

But for some reason, mythbackend does not get any data
out from both devices, with both kernels.
Very puzzling.

I'll set up another box with fresh install of MB12, and see
whether or not fresh install does better or not.

-- Tai