[mythtv-users] Dedicated backend

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 10:11:04 UTC 2012

Martin Moores wrote:

>I don't use rsync, although it might be better.  I use this command,
>to an external HDD:
>
>tar cvpzf /media/mediadrive/backup.tgz --exclude=/proc
>--exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/media
>--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/recordings
>--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/pictures --exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/music
>--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/videos --exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/livetv
>--exclude=/var/lib/mytharchive
>--exclude=/home/user/.local/share/Trash
>--exclude=/home/user/Desktop/BACKUP-MYTHTV1 /

Indeed, there is no "right" solution.
Yours will produce a single file, compressed, so small and easily
moveable. Retrieving individual files does mean using tar, and
knowing the right incantation to make it work. I used to use cpio in
a similar manner at a previous job - and I could never remember the
syntax for partial restores :(

Rsync produces a file/directory structure identical to your original
- so not as portable and not compressed. It's is very good at
updating an existing tree - especially across network links.

Decide what your priorities are, and how you want to do it - then go
for it. As long as it works then it's not "wrong".

--
Simon Hobson