[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Oct 1 21:45:47 UTC 2012

*** Oops, sorry, I forgot to sent this to the list! -- second try and
sorry for the duplication of messages. ***

Hi Nick,

Le 2012-10-01 16:16, Nick Rout a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>  wrote:
>> Hi John, Nick et all,
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> I have put together my specs again as I had not properly put the fact
>> that I
>> would need a PCI card, and, judging from the sites I have gone to, my
>> choices are limited. I have also read up a lot more about the Rogers
>> cable
>> service (our cable service), and the Rogers analog service will stop for
>> everyone by December 31st 2012 -- it will be phased out region by
>> region. We
>> are still receiving analog service for now but can switch to digital
>> service
>> anytime by calling Rogers. After December 31st, all analog users will no
>> longer receive any service and will be forced to get digital.
>>
>> So, it looks like I should be building a PVR (or would it be a DVR?) for
>> digital service.
>>
>> So here are my specs again with the answer to John's questions:
>>
>> ==========================
>>
>> Location: Canada
>> Signal: analog soon to be digital for everyone on the service by
>> December
>> 31st 2012
>> TVCard: presently using PowerView Card with TVTime. MythTV does not
>> recognize the card. It is an analog TVCard.
>> MoBo: ASRock 775i65g -- 3 PCI slots (NO PCIe SLOTS AVAILABLE)[1]
>> RAM: 2 gig (MoBo max)
>> Hardrive: SATA 1Tb
>>
>> Computer OS: Mageia2 Linux (Linux kernel 3.3.8-2)
>> MythTV version 0.25
>> TVCard replacement: willing to spend up to $200Cdn
> One word: HDHomerun. does not need an internal slot, so your old MB
> doesn't matter.
>
> Not sure if a Prime helps you in Canada with Rogers, others will know.

I like the idea of HDHomerun, sounds really neat! I was thinking of also
just going OTA as my wife says that many of the programmes she watches
are playable from the network sites. So if enough of her favourite
channels are on there, then OTA would be a clear option. We would save
approximately $500/yr. and it would pay for all of the hardware to make
the DVR work.

Re: HDHomerun, the description is a little unclear. It says that it
turns any computer into a DVR, but I imagine that this is only with one
tuner right? It would not be possible to record 2 programmes at the same
time? I was also looking at the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Tech Dual, does
this allow 2 channel simultaneous recording? The SiliconDust works with
VLC, but does MythTV work with it?

Another question I would have if anyone knows, what would be a good
"attic antenna" to look at? We could also spend around $250Cdn on an
antenna.

All of these costs would be recovered if we went OTA instead of Cable
within one year.

The only real channel I would miss is the TSN sports channel, but I
imagine that there is an online stream somewhere. Its just that there is
a lot of Canadian content on that particular channel that I like.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I thank all of you for the
great help! It is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc

--