[mythtv-users] mysqld & mythbackend will not start automatically on restart

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:19:09 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 04:47 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
 > Syntax! check your /etc/init.d directory for the exact name of the service: I imagine you will find that it is 'mythtv-backend', which is not
> what you have described immediately above.

Hi;

*buntu has been using upstart at least since 10.04 (my 'production' box.) Scripts
live in /etc/init, not the old /etc/init.d directory. All active configuration
files must end in .conf. For example, mythtv-backend.conf is started with:

   sudo start mythtv-backend or sudo service mythtv-backend start

The file looks like this:

   http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/mythtv/mythtv-master/view/head:/debian/mythtv-backend.upstart

And there's documentation here:

   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration

The original poster's mysql daemon isn't starting. Starting it manually
with mysqld& doesn't duplicate what happens when the system starts. The
pre-start script in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf tests to see if mysql
is running and won't start the backend if it isn't.

In order to execute /etc/init/mysql.conf, R KANNAN should type:

   sudo start mysql or service mysql start

The link that Michael Watson looks promising. sudo /sbin/start mysql would
be a good test (or doing PATH=/sbin:$PATH first.) If that fails, then
check /etc/sudoers and /etc/sudoers.d/.

There are, in fact, entries under /etc/init.d. However, they're just links
to upstart:

   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun 11 09:21 mysql -> /lib/init/upstart-job
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug  9 13:25 mythtv-backend -> /lib/init/upstart-job

Running these will work but they will also print a message warning the user that the
job has been converted to upstart. Not all jobs have been converted to upstart, so
there are still active scripts under /etc/init.d, perhaps adding to the confusion.

--
Bill