[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:05:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> On 30/09/2012 9:46 PM, Steve Malenfant wrote:
>>
>> I've made a mistake for my whole finally lately... I upgraded from
>> 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS on my MythTV Box. Not sure exactly why I've done it
>> because everything was working so smoothly... I've been trying to find
>> information about the following but mostly everything failed. Probably due
>> to the fact that I don't have time to mess with my system anymore.
>>
>> - NVIDIA VDPAU just won't work. There is the libvdpau-nvidia that's
>> missing or that has the wrong version. Searching and searching here.
>> Multiple people seems to have the problem never found a solution that worked
>> for me.
>
> I had this on a fresh install of Mythbuntu, checking the Install Binary
> Driver for Nvidia during setup.  Driver was installed, but kernel module had
> not been compiled, xorg.conf not configured appropriately.  I remove nvidia*
> packages, ran jockey-gtk to reinstall the drivers, after reboot the nvidia
> drivers where installed properly.
>
>> - Screen Saver stuck on 10 minutes and screen goes black... I thought the
>> kids to go and move the move instead of screaming "Daddy!". Some say to
>> change the ScreenSaver app.
>
> I believe default is for Power management to blank screen after 10 minutes,
> Reconfigure Power management, or disable and configure xscreensaver.
>>
>> - The Unity bar always show up on the left, can't get rid of it.
>>
>> I wasn't expecting much trouble upgrading... I disabled VDPAU, at least I
>> can play the .mp4 files but not the MPEG-2 recording.
>>
>> Any pointers to help would be great!
>>
>> Thanks.

just a +1 to this answer.
I had to do the same basic thing for the nvidia drivers. I was doing
it all via ssh so it was manual, but the same basic process.

I'm not running a display manager on my frontends so I did not have to
deal with the timeout issue.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!