[mythtv-users] Any success with Intel graphics hardware and judderfree playback?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Wed Oct 3 20:49:31 UTC 2012

Hi list

I'm considering replacing my main (ION-/Atom-based) frontend with a
Intel Ivy Bridge solution with integrated graphics, as a workaround
for #11115.

I want to make sure that it works well before I purchase the new
hardware. Therefore I've hooked up my Ivy Bridge laptop to my TV with
a HDMI cable and have started testing.

My initial testing were moderately positive, playback worked with any
OpenGL or regular playback profile (Slim/Normal/High Quality).

However, I did see a few issues:
1. A horizontal flickering line was consistently seen on some
recordings -> Likely fixable with some Xorg/driver parameter.
2. Judder -> Fixable with http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
3. Picture quality was slightly lower than when using VDPAU on the
same TV -> That I'll probably just have to live with.

Judder was the first thing I tried to fix. Once I had Xorg and all
modelines configured, I ran into what at first sight appears to be a
bug in MythTV. Every time when MythTV starts playback and changes the
resolution from the desktop default 1920x1080 at 60Hz to 1920x1080 at 50Hz,
the picture gets moved vertically by an offset, causing a black bar at
the top of the screen while the bottom of the picture is missing:
http://postimage.org/image/wyf7m7rnt/

It is supposed to look like this (notice the extra text in the bottom
of the screen):
http://postimage.org/image/4yfpfodl5/

It's not an invalid modeline, the issue is only in MythTV, as
illustrated by the following picture:
http://postimage.org/image/m3dd9lsgb/

So, I guess my question it: Has anyone succeded in creating a frontend
based on Intel-hardware with integrated graphics and with judderfree
playback?

Best regards
Kenni