[mythtv-users] 0.25->0.26: problems with high mem consumption and oom kils

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 6 09:05:39 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-05 15:00, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> If it's a memory leak, it'll still crash with 32GB of RAM installed...
>> just takes a little longer.
>
> Remember, though, that memory use is not necessarily a memory leak

Did you forget about our discussion?
The backend keeps on allocating RSS at a steady pace for weeks on end.

>> Agreed. Have you considered enabling verbose logging and submitting a
>> bug report?
>
> which is why you'll need much more than just MythTV logs to file a
> memory leak bug (we don't actually add in log messages that say, "this
> will leak memory," since we fix known leaks :).  You'd need to run
> valgrind and submit a valgrind log that shows a real memory leak (or
> point out flawed code that results in a leak).

Did you forget about what I did?
The results were thought to be insignificant and are still not
completely fixed.
Now if other people can also point out leaks, even after my input and
subsequent fixes, then would that not be a nice time to implement some
valgrind testing before releasing code?

Kind regards,
Udo