[mythtv-users] ACPI Wakeup stopped working

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:08:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:04 AM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was taking a look in the BIOS/UEFI, and it looks like everything is
> okay. My building did have a power outage last Thursday (May 31), but
> I'm pretty sure the wakeup continued working after that. Anyway, it
> looked like the "Wake on RTC" setting was still Enabled. After I try
> to set a wakeup time, if I reboot into the BIOS the Wake on RTC time
> is still set to something like:
> Days: 15
> Hour: 0
> Min: 0
> Sec: 0
>
> (the machine is off at the moment, if it's important I can turn it on
> when I come home from work and get the exact numbers it shows. But I
> think it's just indicating that the alarm isn't actually getting set)

So I've been "working around" the issue for quite a while, by making
sure the machine is turned on in the morning before I leave for work,
and shutting it down/rebooting it occasionally to "avoid" crashes and
hangs. I tried updating the BIOS a few times, and other random
ideas... Finally I think I figured out the problem.

It seems that having "Wake on RTC" *enabled* in the BIOS is the
problem. I came to an idea that maybe it was because I had tried to
enable all the other "Wake on blah" options (none of which are working
for me :( ), and I thought maybe there's a conflict. So I turned them
all off, except RTC, and still no dice. So finally I decided to turn
off Wake on RTC, a kablammo, wakeup now works.

I still have a different issue with the machine hanging irregularly
during bootup (the screen stays blank, so I have no idea whether it's
a LILO (no wait, Mythbuntu uses GRUB, doesn't it... whether it's a
GRUB) or kernel/startup problem.... after I hit the Reset button when
it hangs, I'm brought to a GRUB prompt and have to hit Enter to keep
booting (at some point I fixed that so I don't have to intervene, but
the change got lost during some recent package update). Usually this
second boot works, but occasionally it hangs as well, but this time I
can see the kernel messages. But that's another issue for another
e-mail. :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I managed to solve my wakeup
issue, finally. Since I know you were all waiting with baited breath
to hear the outcome ;-)

In case it helps anyone else solve such a mystery in the future...

aaron