[mythtv-users] Quiet cheap frontend for 1080p

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 8 09:32:02 UTC 2012

On 08/10/12 00:12, Teruel deCampo MD wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 14:23 -0700, chris biddick wrote:
>> Fyi, I got my issue with mythmote corrected.  In mythtv-setup, general
>> settings, we need actual IP address of FE box not 127.0.0.1  , once
>> you fix that mythmote should work fine again.  I am guessing that got
>> defaulted back during the upgrade from .24 to .25 for me.
>
> Chris,
>
> That's how my system is setup and it does not work. Apparently using the
> IP works for some but not for all. I do not have a fix IP from my ISP so
> I just assigned a second IP to the node so myth always works as well as
> the other front ends.
> I may spend more time playing with mythmote but the dev are writing a
> mythmote2 that will address this problem.

If you are using the IP supplied by your ISP then both your back and front ends
are visible to the Internet, which is definitely not a good idea.

Standard practice is to place all your home kit on a private network
(192.168.x.x) and hide it behind a good firewall box. If you do this then you
can assign whatever IPs you like to your myth boxes and they will be immune to
any changes your ISP makes. Not to mention protecting them from all the Internet
nasties.

If you do not have a router/firewall supplied by your ISP then any old PC with
at least two NICs will be sufficient for the purpose. Firewall software is free
and freely available over the web. I use http://pfsense.org/ myself.

--

Mike Perkins