[mythtv-users] Mythbackend successfully running on virtualbox (win7 (64bit) host; mythbuntu 12.04.1 (64bit) guest)

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:09:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 08/10/12 16:04, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/2012 01:37, Robert Havlin wrote:
>>
>>> The beauty of this setup is now I can do maintenance or test new
>>> configurations (in a clone) without ever bringing my operational
>>> virtualbox down (i.e. frontends never know).
>>>

>> You don't need a virtual machine to achieve that.
>>
>>  Perhaps not; but he may need another machine with exactly the same
> hardware to achieve the same result.
>
> I personally wouldn't run mythtv on anything but bare metal. Having said
> that, I've just spent all last week installing a new Debian server with
> xen. I probably don't need that for much of what I do either, but
> regrettably I *do* need to run an instance of Windows (hack, ptoo!)
> occasionally and I'm not willing to waste hardware just for a box I'll use
> maybe once in six months. Running that as a virtual is a no-brainer.
>
> As they say, it's horses for courses. YMMV.

I also got mythtv running on VirtualBox.  I had to install some older
version of ubuntu and mythtv for testing purposes.  Works fine and not
unbearably slow.  I didn't have to deal with linux device drivers since my
tuner is just a standalone HDHomerun network device.