[mythtv-users] Announcement: Looking for Alpha testers for a generic Lossless cut solution

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Wed Oct 10 00:16:55 UTC 2012

New Alpha bug fix released v0.1.2
Please update from the PPA or source and give it another try.

# 0.1.2 Changed:
#       lossless_cut.py - Handle the lack of a "streamid" when there is
#       only a single "Text" subtitle track
#       lossless_cut.py - Changed the extraction of the subtitle track
#       "subid" to properly handle varying number of digits
#       lossless_cut.py - Made the gathering of subtitle extraction data
#       more resilient. Skip subtitle tracks that
#       cannot be handled instead of aborting.
#       utilities.py - Dependency checks now displays any error output
#       ll_report.py - Fixed identification of the MythTV version
#       common.py - Changed the mythccextractor arguments from
#       quite to verbose

I have fixed the abort when there is only one subtitle track. This is
the one where the script aborts with the message "Keyerror" trying to
get a "streamid" attribute which does not exist. This bug has been
reported by:
Michael Watson, Paul Wootton and Scott Harris

I also changed the code to skip subtitles it cannot deal with. A log
message is added when a subtitle track is skipped. Unfortunately it has
become apparent each recoding device identifies a subtitle track
slightly differently and the subtitle extraction utilities do not always
extract the subtitle tracks. No doubt subtitles processing will be
problematic for a while.

Here are some additional notes:

Michael Watson:
     I have fixed the script abort as described above but have found
that, at least with the sample you supplied, that neither
mythccextractor or ccextractor utilities can extract any subtitles. I
also played the sample in the totem movie player and it did not display
or list any subtitles. There is no doubt that the sample video has a
"Text" subtitle track, but the utilities cannot extract them.

     If you playback the sample, can you see any subtitles display? I
would like to determine if this is just a sample where there was no
subtitles captured or if the utilities cannot extract the subtitles for
this recording device. If this is just a sample which subtitles do not
display for you either then please create another bug sample but adjust
the start time to a segment where subtitles are plentiful. Use a command
line argument like:
   ll_report -f "/path to the problem/recordedfile.mpg" -B -s HH:MM:SS

The "KeyError: 'v024'" error with ll_report has also been fixed. You
should now be able to create a sample archive bug report for the
lossless cut mkv video with stutter playback. I am very interested in
this issue as I have not seen it before. Is this issue consistent with
every lossless cut recording from that device? Also please supply the
manufacturer and model name.

I have seen issues when the original recording was slightly damaged
resulting in video corruption and/or audio sync loss. Each time I was
able to track it back to the original recording. Most of the time I saw
the corrupt when playing the original recording using MythTV. The
internal player plays through the problem area but you can see a brief
moment of corruption video.

Kevon:
   I implemented your request to output the actual STDERR/OUT
information when a dependency has not been met. Great suggestion, thanks.

Scott Harris:
   It appears that subtitles for the HDHomerun are in a Catch-22.
ccextractor does not extract them with mythccextract having no problems
extracting the subtitle tracks. BUT ... mythccextractor has a bug and I
have commented out the code which uses it as the primary subtitle
extractor. It is also only available for MythTV v0.25 and higher. See
ticket: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11081

I hope those that have experienced bugs with Lossless Cut will give this
new v0.1.2 a try.

Thanks

Doug