[mythtv-users] Cannot max out CPU usage on HLS transcode

Jim Downie Jim.Downie at sigmaseven.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 07:12:12 UTC 2012

I am trying to get the HLS transcode stream to better utilise my CPU (i7 3930k) to get the transcode completed in a shorter time (to allow fast forwarding when playing back), however at most it uses 50 - 60% of the CPU capacity (an probably nearer to 40%).

I have tried setting the HTTPLiveStreamThreads configuration parameter in the database to better utilise the CPU (I can see the number of threads increased) but it doesn't matter as only 6 threads seem to be using the CPU - the rest sit at 0%.

Am I doing something wrong or is there some other limiting factor on how fast mythtv can process the transcoding process (handbreak can max out the CPU)?

Cheers,

Jim.