[mythtv-users] dlna dmr frontend replacement.

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 05:17:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 20:19 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 05:54 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> > Has this idea been discussed here before ?
> >
> > The idea is to not have a separate frontend PC attached to TV but to use
> > a network connected combined BE/FE&  use dlna push rendering of the
> > mythtv GUI to DMR devices.
> >

> It seems to me that DLNA is something that promises much, but delivers
> little (due to the lack of good implementations (or differences in
> existing implementations)/lack of enforcement of "must support X CODEC,"
> etc.)--not to mention the "club members only" approach to the standard,
> enforced by the cost of getting the specs so you can implement it.
>
> Mike

A work colleague was complaining just yesterday that his new TV & AVR
etc don't play together, the TV does play with the iProduct..

So the consortium's std exists so they can be sure their own
implementations are all different..

Putting aside the dlna protocol, is pushing the GUI out to a DMR
something that MythTV would want to do using an open std?

What is the likelihood of the consumer electronics industry accepting
miracast or DASH ?
They must all want their stuff to inter-operate with the ever increasing
numbers gadgets etc

Brett