[mythtv-users] FCC will allow encryption of basic cable, offers measures to protect open access

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Oct 16 16:26:53 UTC 2012

> > The worst part of the change is that as soon as the FCC finally sells off
> > the TV spectrum to the wireless companies and gets rid of OTA TV
> broadcast,
> > we'll lose our choice to avoid the locked-down cable system.
>
> Some of the broadcasters (with "free" spectrum given out decades ago) are
> actively looking to monetize what is now their biggest asset (on paper),
> their
> spectrum.

I wish they would start carrying some of the more popular cable channels on
broadcast muxes... just think of the number of businesses that would cut
the wire (and access to competing news channels) if CNN was broadcast in
most major networks.  Most of the offices (primarily govt)  I see that have
TV, require that the TV only be used to watch 24 hour news channels... if
they could cut the cable and use an antenna they would be all over it.