[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Oct 16 19:17:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> VDPAU itself came out at a time when processors didn't need it (I said
> "processors", not "toys"--where you've been able to do a Core 2 Duo system
> that runs about the same power draw as an Atom, but then had some headroom
> available for when you need it, since Atom was first released, so there was
> never a need for Atom).

Got to disagree a bit there. VDPAU is needed, even with a C2D
processor. My C2D cannot handle playback of certain BluRay movies. The
decoding software used by myth (at least as of a few years ago) could
only multithread when a video was encoded with slices. Unfortunately,
quite a few BluRay movies are encoded with a single slice (or some
have specific scenes that use a single slice). When playing back one
of those movies/scenes, only a single core is active and playback is
quite choppy.

--
Ron Frazier