[mythtv-users] 1080i to 1080p Deinterlacing on Backend was Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Andrew Theurer andrew.theurer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:05:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Scott Knight <scott at scottknight.com> wrote:
> on 10/16/2012 11:00 PM Michael T. Dean carved the following into a picnic
> table:
>>
>> And, yes, a system that's transcoding everything to H.264 (versus
>> storing it in its native recording format) does make for an extremely
>> power hungry system.
>>
> You have just touched on something I have looked at a few times and never
> successfully figured out.  I already have a powerful backend (Xeon E3) with
> power to spare because it does other things like hosting VMs for building
> MythTV, cloud testing, etc.  It can commflag at 1200+ fps on 1080i content.
> What I have noticed is that 1080i content looks pretty crappy no matter
> which deinterlacer I use on the frontends (mixture of ION, ION2, 9400, GT430
> all running VDPAU).  720p content looks better and Blu-Ray looks stunning
> without even making the frontends break a sweat.

Scott, are you sure the more advanced de-interlacers are being used,
especially on the GT430 card?  I have used the 2x temporal, and I
thought it looked quite good.  This is a on a very large screen
(projector), which tends to show imperfections quite easily.

> Is there a way to take my 1080i recordings and just deinterlace them on the
> backend?  I don't care about transcoding out the commercials, don't care
> what format they end up in, don't care about disk space, as long as I can
> use whatever deinterlace algorithm looks best to my eyes when it's played.
> Maybe I don't understand the limitations of 1080i deinterlacing, but it
> seems that with a good enough transcode, the end result should be somewhere
> between 720p and Blu-Ray.

That got me thinking, since a lot of prime time shows are actually 24p
that are telecin'd to 60i, I wonder if you could convert to the
original 24p source.  My preference, however, is to never transcode,
as I find it to always degrade the picture quality.