[mythtv-users] Power Relay for Frontends

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat Oct 20 06:49:52 UTC 2012

On 20.10.2012 03:48, tortise wrote:

> Basic problem is a good fast frontend computer draws power even when
> switched off, as does a TV.

Just throwing out some ideas I collected for NoStandbyStandby :-)

When I was thinking about the same issue I ended up with a concept for
a IR receiver that outputs to a relay to cut power to PC/TV/itself and
the IR data to LIRC.
It would have a low power mode where it runs on a capacitor big enough
for one week of IR reception and still having enough juice to pull the
relay in front of the PC. The relay was self-latching and be reset at
the end of the shutdown (as indicated by the PSU turning of power).

Regards,
Karl

PS: As others pointed out, its mostly Because We Can run without
external power.