[mythtv-users] Power Relay for Frontends

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 21 07:41:05 UTC 2012

On 21/10/2012 7:48 p.m., Gary Dawes wrote:

> In the UK you can get TV standby killers, which have an IR receiver to
> learn the TV off command, and then shuts off the power. These are
> available in multi-gang or single-gang form and readily available via
> the likes of Amazon and ebay. I have used these with diskless frontends
> and AV equipment such as DVD & receivers successfully. these also turn
> the power back on when the TV is turned back on

Thanks for the useful Google search phrase!

How do these go with the Fancy LED TV's with their own OS? I am aware
for example the Samsungs I have take about a minute to reach standby
after telling them to go to standby, they look like they are in standby
almost straight away, but in reality are slowly going into standby.  For
any doubters watch the current drawn, when it reaches the base level the
TV has achieved standby.

Seems to me that repeatedly powering off before that standby wind down
is completed might put their TV's OS at risk?

> The other thing I have done in the past is to teach LIRC the TV off
> command, and tie it to the shutdown command on the frontend.

That's a cool idea too!  Thank you. I spawned a new thread about a CEC
equivalent...