[mythtv-users] DVB HD tuners under linux?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 13:51:13 UTC 2012

On 22/10/12 13:52, Dave Sexton wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Monday 22 October 2012 12:42:04 Richard Morton wrote:
>> To receive free view HD in the uk you require a dvb-t2 card. The only one I
>> am aware of that is supported is the pctv/pinnacle 290e. I have one of
>> these and it prior to ubuntu 1204 it required you to compile some bits. Now
>> it just works although it does freeze up occasionally requiring a reboot.
>
> I recall a couple of years ago that the BBC wanted to encrypt broadcats. They
> are not allowed to encrypt the actual programming but OFCOM was somehow
> paysuaded to allow them to encrypt critical parts of the signal (I think it
> was the EIT) that allowed them to enforce their hollywood paymasters' desires
> to restrict usefulness of the signal yet still remain within the letter of the
> law.
>
> I had assumed that this would make FreeviewHD unusable within Myth, I'm hoping
> my assumption is wrong! Am I wrong?

Yup, you are wrong. I guess that if you wanted to use the EIT for your HD
scheduling, your assumption might be correct, but if you use the Radio Times
xmltv feed there's no problem.

- And to the OP: I found when I bought my 290e that it required a kernel > 3.0.0
(ish). A backport (I'm using Debian) solved that problem.

--

Mike Perkins