[mythtv-users] Software decoding with VDPAU rendering (was Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM)

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Oct 22 14:53:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 03:17:27PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> with rendering.  I use software decode on my AMD Athlon II and
> render with VDPAU (because VDPAU /is/ a great rendering tech--much
> better than 20+ year old Xv and--especially with our current
> implementations--more efficient than OpenGL video rendering).  The
> VDPAU hardware decode is the least useful part of VDPAU given a real
> processor.  (In other words, I love PAU, but don't want or need
> VD.*** :)

Mike, I gave this a try yesterday to see how well it worked.  I was
mainly hoping fill mode auto-detection would work in this
configuration.  It didn't, AFAICT.  Anyway, progressive video worked
fine except for the noticeably and expected higher CPU usage.
Interlaced video had an annoying problem, however.  Whenever I skipped
position, there was a very noticable flicker between frames from
before and after the skip.  It looked like maybe decode and/or
presentation queue wasn't getting reset properly.  Have you seen
anything like that?

David
--
David Engel