[mythtv-users] Do multiple sources need multiple .xmltv files?

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:03:03 UTC 2012

On 22 October 2012 11:19, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> My policy was to treat the HD channels as an entirely separate source to
> the SD channels. I therefore have SD tuners which scan 5 transports and the
> xmltv file is edited accordingly. The HD channels are all on a single
> transport (for now) and there are presently only four of them, so the xmltv
> for these is easy.
>
> By doing it this way the HD tuner cannot get pre-empted by the scheduler
> wanting to record an SD-only program. It is always available for recording
> HD.
>
> Don't muck about with the channel names, just leave them as they are. If
> there are duplicates of the programming on HD and SD these will show up on
> mythweb or in the front end and you can pick whichever you want.
>
> It may also be a mistake to believe that the HD channels carry *exactly*
> the same programming as the corresponding SD channel. Usually, but not
> always. In addition, the "BBC HD" channel may carry a variety of programs
> from different BBC origins.

Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Well, I think I have got to the bottom of my issues.  Was sat in work
yesterday and had a bit of a realisation about my dual tuner and how I had
set it up.  Will document it here in case anyone might find it useful!

The tuner is dual, as in SD and HD, I had set it up as a dual tuner, with
the same source, as in SD/HD and SD/HD, which was not the case.

So I started setting it all up again, I now have 3 sources, 1 for my
original SD freeview card and 2 for my new SD/HD card.  I can't use the
same SD source across both cards, as they seem to tune slightly different
SD channels between them, so thought it would be easier to have 2 sources.

I then connected the tuners to the sources, the 1st priority being the HD
tuner, then SD on the second card etc etc, re-scanned on them all and
exited.

Then, ran mythupchuk and created an xmltv file by running tv_grabber_uk_rt
--configure and made 3 copied of this in /home/mythtv/.mythtv all named
after the 3 sources.

I commented everything out apart from the HD channels in the xmltv file for
the HD source, I had to add ITV HD manually, as tv_grabber_uk_rt does not
seem to add this one.

I then ran through mythweb channel editor, checking that EIT was turned on
for channels with no xmltv ID and visa versa.

I then ran mythfilldatabase and checked through any xmltv IDs it complained
about.  There were a few that mythupchuk had added incorrectly into the
database, which I edited in mythweb to the correct ones from my xmltv
file.  There were also some IDs that I did not have a channel for, so
commented those out.

After a few runs and re-checking files, mythfilldatabase ran successfully
and my upcoming recordings looked good, everything recording in HD where
appropriate.

So that sums it up, thanks all for the pointers, got there in the end,
hopefully won't need to re-tune again soon!  Now I just need to sort out
why my machine is glitching when recording the HD, dodgey cables me thinks.

Cheers

Martin