[mythtv-users] ProjectX 0.90.4 doesn't support the -set option

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:43:15 UTC 2012

On 23 Oct 2012, at 14:16, Will Dormann wrote:

> On 10/22/12 5:52 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
>> On 10/22/12 5:40 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>>
>>> Despite all that - if you have a good patch, go ahead :-)
>>
>> I may give it a shot when I get some downtime.
>

> Sadly (?) I'm going to have to punt on this whole MythTV/Mythbuntu
> upgrade experience.   Yes, I had to tweak mythburn.py to get it working,
> but I sort of expected that.  But the real dealbreaker is the occasional
> "NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or
> interrupt context" and associated Xorg hang that I'd experience.  IOW, I
> went from a system that worked fine to one that's unstable.
>
> Googling the above phrase gives me a number of discussions where people
> are exchanging boot kernel flags or other tweaks that maybe sorta help
> the problem.   And people sharing stories of how they've been able to
> achieve uptimes of a day or so.
>
> I tried a couple of different nvidia driver versions as well as boot
> flags, but none seemed to come together to produce a stable system.
> Getting a solid nvidia driver version was a bit of a pain when I first
> set up the HD-capable Mythtv system 2 years ago, but the apparent fact
> that nvidia driver stability/reliability hasn't seemingly improved since
> then is completely ridiculous, IMO.
>
> While MythTV itself seems to be fine after the upgrade, if the nvidia
> drivers aren't stable, then I consider it a failure.  Would upgrading
> the system to Mythbuntu 12.10 (and subsequently kernel 3.5) address the
> problem?    Maybe?   Is there some combination of kernel / drivers /
> options that gives stability?  Possibly?

I've missed the majority of this thread, but have you tried installing nvidia-current-updates (this updates the nvidia driver to one that wasn't necessarily in the first release). There's also an nvidia-experimental driver which is even newer (don't let 'experimental' put you off, all of Linux is experimental :) ).

Failing that there's an ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates PPA that regularly pulls in updated drivers and versions of X.

You may got some mileage from this.

There isn't a mythbuntu 12.10 - they're only supporting LTS releases from now on.

Martk