[mythtv-users] Performance MySQL on RAM

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 10:06:07 UTC 2012

jedi wrote:

>  > >I have some questions abot MySQL performance, I have a dedicatd server
>>  >for the backend with 2GB of memory. I am thinking on buy 2GB more and
>>  >get 4GB of RAM.
>>  >
>>  >Is possible to use RAM memory to optimize MySQL?
>
>    I think you will see better performance by just
>putting your database (or just the whole OS boot disk)
>on an SSD. My own master backend boots off an SSD and
>it has made a very visible difference.

Really, you think moving the DB to SSD (and to avoid confusion, I
mean the current usage of the term meaning flash based storage) will
give better performance than allowing the DB to keep the entire
database in RAM ?
Yes it will be faster than in spinning rust, but holding the DB in
RAM will be faster (at least for the type of usage that MythTV does)
- and generally a lot cheaper.

--
Simon Hobson