[mythtv-users] Poor SD frontend performance since upgrade to Opensuse 12.2/mythtv 0.25

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Oct 24 19:21:17 UTC 2012

I recently upgraded my mythtv system from 0.24 to 0.25. Partly because
it was just time, and partly because I wanted to play around with the
Android frontend (which still doesn't quite work, but that will be
another post some day).

Anyway, my mythbackend was a xen domU on Opensuse 11.3, so backing out
is easy. The upgrade to Opensuse 12.2 and mythtv 0.25 went very
smoothly, so I started updating my frontends. My frontends were also
running Opensuse 11.3. The upgrade went pretty easily again for both,
but my playback is terrible, very choppy video.

Since I did an upgrade, my assumption is that the machines aren't
running any newer opensuse packages. As far as myth they are still
running the Slim profile, same as before.

The frontends are all Compaq SFF Evo 1.7 Ghz PCs, with internal HDs and
750meg or 1gb of RAM. Only playing SD.

I don't see anything obviously wrong if I look at running processes, but
I'll be honest and say I haven't had a chance to do an extreme amount of
troubleshooting.

Can anyone comment as to whether the playback issues are expected from
either Opensuse update or mythtv or both?

Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
James