[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Wed Oct 24 20:53:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 01:33:54PM -0700, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:46:34PM -0700, Michael Drons wrote:
> >> I had a backend crash and switched linux distro & upgraded mythtv in the process.  My backend is now running Ubuntu and mythtv .26.  I now need to upgrade my frontends, which are diskless.
> >>
> >> They are running gentoo, but was thinking of switching distros also.  Anyone have a recommendation on a distro that supports diskless mythtv frontends.
> >>
> >> I have been struggling now for 2 days trying to get LTSP working (following these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless), but I seem to have many errors as it does not work.  Everything I find in google references onlder versions of Ubuntu (I am running 12.10) on the backend.
> >
> > I'm running LTSP frontends on Ubuntu 12.04 and can tell you the document you
> > reference is not necessarily accurate.  At least for me the server
> > configuration for the NBD service was incorrect.  NBD server changed the
> > way it works and uses a name model as opposed to a network port
> > model for the shares and the Mythbuntu LTSP scripts were not updated for that.
> > I also have to make sure the NBD server's IP address is specified for the PXE
> > boot on the client (use the -S <ip address> option on the ltsp-update-image
> > command).
> >

> Did you make the changes to the scripts or just do it manually? I
> don't use LTSP, but we can fix the scripts if someone knows what the
> issues are.

I fixed my issues manually.  Very painful at the time.  It was an upgrade
from a previous Mythbuntu install and the LTSP packages did not make the
transition well for some reason.   I figured if it was a global issue someone
was probably already working on it and I didn't have time to fix the scripts.

Pat