[mythtv-users] Batch Download and Archive Recordings With Expanded File Names

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 25 00:10:05 UTC 2012

On 10/24/2012 04:21 AM, tortise wrote:
> I've come to prefer downloading recordings onto HDD's instead of
> adding more and more drives for stuff I want to keep.  I connect an
> external HDD up over the eSATA link (faster than over the LAN to a
> device and leaves the LAN free for playback etc) and download
> recordings from mythweb onto the HDD.
>
> Its a bit of a pain though as it is done one by one this way, and the
> file names often need distinguishing when form a series that are all
> the same.
>
> Is there a way to
>
> 1) Batch file download some recordings and set them to autoexpire
>
> 2) Expand the downloaded default file names from Title.mpg.mpg to
> Title+Subtitle+Airdate.mpg
>
> When an archive HDD is full I run:
> sudo ls -R > printall.2TB#4.txt
> to get a listing of what is on the HDD. I might dump those files into
> a database ir similar for easy searching later on for the growing pile
> of HDD's.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to automate this some more?  With many thanks.

Use mythlink.pl to create a directory of symlinks with the desired
format, then copy those "links" to the drive (using cp or--my
preference--rsync -av --progress) while dereferencing the links and
you'll have a bunch of files with the desired names...  Then just go in
and delete those recordings using mythweb or mythfrontend or ...

You could also do this with a user job--just requires writing a little
script.

Mike