[mythtv-users] OTA and attic antenna

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:31:23 UTC 2012

Good points about conditions in my attic.  My house was built about 5 years
ago, and the attic doesn't get too hot.  I think the conditions up there
would be within the HDHR's published operating temperature of 0°C to 45°C
(32°F to 105°F).  Humidity could be a problem.. but I've come to the
personal conclusion that solid state electronics hold up well in outdoor
conditions.  Noticing that every sports bar now has standard, off the shelf
HDTVs mounted outdoors gave me the confidence to deploy a FE to my screened
in porch about a year ago.  No issues so far, other than a MCEUSB ir
receiver biting the dust a few weeks back.

Anyway, I was completely unaware of the reverse splitter approach.  This
seemed like the simplest solution (which IMHO is always the best), so I
tried it out by adding my old attic antenna with the new.  Viola, it works
great!  I have minimal signal drop on my original strong signals and the
weaker ones have been brought up enough to give me solid reception.

Hope this helps others
Dave