[mythtv-users] no more PCI in my basement

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Oct 26 15:10:58 UTC 2012

Am 26.10.2012 12:01, schrieb Mike Perkins:

> I seem to remember some potential gotchas with USB: not a good idea to
> use hubs (plug directly into the back panel or via a m/f extender cable
> only) and try to use different host hubs on the motherboard for each tuner.
>
> Apart from that USB tuners would seem to be the way to go if you don't
> have a big box to put your card(s) into (or network, of course, for HDHR
> users).

Right now I upgraded my former minimyth frontend to a small mythbuntu
slave backend with one of my DVB-S-PCI-cards. Works so far and I didn't
have to spend new money.

Although it isn't optimal, only one of 2 cards used and noise in the
living room ...

Maybe I set up an old pc as mythtv-server only, with the 2 cards.

For the price of one new DVB-S2-PCIe card (~170 EUR for that mentioned
card w/ 2 tuners) I can also afford to pay the energy-bill for that box.

I still have to decide what to do, right now I can watch recordings, and
at least record some stuff.

Thanks so far for your suggestions, Stefan