[mythtv-users] Connecting remote frontends

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Oct 28 20:45:25 UTC 2012

On 28/10/2012 2:57 PM, Peter Hocking wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I've just built a new MythTV backend, running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit &
> installed MythTV 0.25 on it. My remote front ends can't connect to it,
> though when I installed MythTV on the backend I selected the option to allow
> remote frontends. The local frontend on the machine that has the backend
> works just fine.
>
> I've researched the issue, but it appears that my googlefu is not up to
> speed as I haven't been able to resolve the issue.
>
> Can anyone point me at a guide that would help resolve this issue?
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

Firstly, check if MySQL is configured to accept remote access, run this
command;

netstat -a | grep mysql

You should get something like this on the first line of output;

tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:* LISTEN

If you dont, then mysql is will not accept remote connections. Check
your my.cnf (or on ubuntu/mythbuntu
   /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf for a line "bind-address 0.0.0.0",
ensure it is not commented out.

Next, on remote machine, try connecting the the MySQL server manually using;
First get the credentials used by mythtv use;  "cat ~/.mythtv/config.xml
| grep DB" or cat ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt | grep DB"
or "cat /etc/mythtv/config.xml | grep DB".  Probably best to run this
commands on the server. (or working frontend)

Then run (on remote frontend)

mysql -D mythconverg -h mythserver -u mythtv -pxxxxxx

If it connects successfully, check the config.xml and mysql.txt files on
the remote frontend, make sure they have the correct credentials,
MythBuntu/Ubuntu keep them in /etc/mythtv/ and create symlinks in the
users home directorys /home/user/.mythtv/,