[mythtv-users] Troubles to upgrade database schema

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 28 22:49:12 UTC 2012

On 10/28/2012 05:05 PM, Yann Lehmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Now that MythTV 0.26 and Ubuntu 12.04 are out, I have decided to
> upgrade my MythTV system, currently running 0.21 on a Hardy, going to
> 0.23 as a first step.
>
> To do so, I put a second hard disk in my combined backend/frontend and
> installed Mythbuntu 10.04 with MythTV  0.23 along the old system.
>
> Then I booted in the new system and restored a fresh backup of the
> 0.21 database (on schema 1214), using the 'mythconverg_restore.pl'
> script (with 'drop_database' and '--create_database').
>
> Then I ran 'mythtv-setup' on the new system in order to upgrade the
> database.
>
> The database was upgraded from schema 1214 to 1215.

This means that your database is failing to upgrade properly.  Look at
the log file to find out exactly what's happening.  Most likely, the
issue is corrupt data (or, at least, data that looks corrupt) preventing
the upgrade from continuing.

> After the upgrade, mythfrontend says that the database needs to be
> upgraded with the following message:
>
> 'This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 39
> versions behind).
>
> Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database.'
>
> When I run mythtv-setup again, it displays this:
>
> 'Warning: MythTV wants to upgrade your database, for the TV schema,
> from 1215 to 1254.'
>
> When I choose to upgrade the db, a backup-file is created, but the db
> doesn't get upgraded. In the terminal-window of mythtv-setup, I can
> see something like 'newest DB schema 1254' just before the window
> closes. But the database remains on schema 1215.
>
> When I start mythfrontend on the command line, the following output is
> displayed in the shell:
>
> 'Not allowed to upgrade the database. Skipping backup. Couldn't
> upgrade database to new schema, exiting.'
>

> Should I upgrade to 0.22 first ? I have seen posts on this list saying
> that a database of a 0.21 version could easily get upgraded on a 0.23
> system.
>
> Any help will be very appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Yann Lehmann
>
> PS: If that matters, I am running mythtv-setup as a "normal" user, not
> as the "mythtv-user".

You'll get the same result regardless of which version of MythTV (or
which user) you use.  You need to fix your data.

Mike