[mythtv-users] Video is 'x' frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Sep 2 17:16:28 UTC 2012

> 16x PCIe 1.0 should be plenty fast enough.
>>
>> I did see some comments in one of the other threads mentioned above that
>> suggested that heat may be an issue.  Apparently the cards will clock down
>> when they get hot.  Because you seemed to suggest at one point that the
>> issue appeared resolved, then came back after an hour of use, you might
>> just check to see how hot the card is getting.
>>

> Joe, do you know at what temperature the cards will clock down?
>
> I have recently upgraded my main mythtv machine it's a frontend/backend
> combo. Used to be an AMD x2 and I upgraded it to a full blown Intel Xeon
> server (Supermicro X9SRA). I am using the same GT 430 graphics card as I
> had in the old machine. I used to be able to use the High Quality Nvidia
> VDPAU without any problems. I had smooth video no matter what the broadcast
> with Adv 2x with a Adv 1x fallback (never tried 1080p). However, now when I
> try to use any VDPAU even without deinterlacing filters the video is a lot
> of push-pull/slow-go to the point of being annoying. It's especially
> noticeable when there's a smooth pan happening in the video or if someone
> is walking across the screen. I'm currently doing all the decoding on the
> Xeon processor instead of using VDPAU because of this. I still need to try
> realtime threads...
>
> The GPU specs say it's maximum temperature is 98 C... I'm sure the thermal
protection kicks in a few degrees under that.  A quick google search says
"like 90C"... but that's just a user complaining about the card.

I would start by forcing as much cool air onto the card as possible and see
if the problem goes away.  A 12" desk fan on high will usually do it.  If
it works, then you need to do something about your airflow in your case.