[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi suitability for MythFrontend

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Sep 2 21:51:17 UTC 2012

On 3/09/2012 7:38 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:

>         Some us do not transcode, nor record or watch blueray or HD
>         and run
>         quite happily on low end Atom stuff.
>

>     The term "low end" is very much relative. Your average 1.6-1.8GHz
>     dual core Atom is nearly an order of magnitude higher performance
>     than the 700MHz ARM11 in the RPi. That's not including the
>     performance penalty hit when you start swapping on a machine with
>     ~200MB of memory, compared to an Atom which will more likely have
>     1-2GB.
>
>     I was using that as a point of reference, showing performance
>     complaints on an Atom when opening a large library in Watch
>     Recordings, to point out potential problems on a yet significantly
>     lower end system.
>

>         I acknowledge it may not run much but I hope it might run a
>         low end
>         front end, so please let's not write it off just yet.
>

>     I'm not writing it off. I'm just explaining the hurdles to go
>     through in using it, and that the addition of hardware MPEG2
>     support, rather than just H264, makes no real difference.
>

> I wonder how lite mythtv could be as it stands today with just changes
> to settings, theme, and OS.

There are some guys on openelec forum working on running MythFrontend as
an app addon for OpenElec/XBMC
http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-and-tricks/31170-mythtv-025-addon-for-openelec-r10534?limit=20&start=20

There are now two distro's of xbmc available for the Pi, OpenElec and
RaspBMC.  Which you can then add Mitch Cappers version of MythBOX (which
will run against a Myth 0.25 Backend) for access to MythTV.

I almost tempted to purchase a Pi, just to see how well xbmc runs on it,
and test it as a suitable frontend device, if it fails, I guess it could
always be used as a low power NAS for some USB HDD's