[mythtv-users] BBC HD sat mux transport parameter change...

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 22:26:28 UTC 2012

Hi all,

So Auntie Beeb are going to be playing with their parameters for the BBC
HD/BBC One HD stream on the 27th September.

According to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2012/09/blah.shtml

They will be changing the transponder from:

10,847MHz, Vertical, DVB-S2, QPSK, 23M, 8/9 FEC

to:

10,847MHz, Vertical, DVB-S2, 8PSK, 23M, 2/3 FEC

Given the ONLY changes are QPSK -> 8PSK and 8/9 -> 2/3 FEC, this seems
like a change I'm willing to do via playing with the database directly
(backup/yes, I know I could kill the system, here might be dragons, we
don't recommend it all noted ;)). So... FEC 8/9 -> 2/3 is easy enough to
do, but what do I do about the modulation field in dtv_multiplex? Change
qpsk to 8psk, leave it as qpsk, or something else?

Also, I assume that my cards/drivers/MythTV have support for 8PSK in
them - googling would lead me to believe they are supported. I'm running
a Tevii S480 and Hauppauge WinTV-HVR400 under Ubuntu 12.04LTS with
mythbackend version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25.1-49-g65913e7].

Is there any way to check this before the date? Should I just relax? I'm
paranoid about this as I work with embedded sat systems and I know
making assumptions about what tuners do and don't support in their
drivers is dangerous....

Thanks

Andy